Youth Mental Health Associate - Full Time or Part Time ($3,000 Hiring Incentive)
***$3,000 Hiring Incentive!***
Job ID: 17094
Agency: Department of Social Services/South Dakota Human Services Center/Adolescent Services/pm shift
Salary: $19.70 per hour plus $2.00 per hour shift Pay plus $1.50 per hour weekend Pay
Pay Grade: GH
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Social Services/South Dakota Human Services Center in Yankton, SD. For more information on the Department of Social Services, please visit https://dss.sd.gov .
The Mental Health Associate will work with a multi-disciplinary team to care for and provide treatment for patients with psychiatric illness in an inpatient hospital setting.
The Mental Health Associate will perform daily tasks including but not limited to:
- implementing planned interventions with patients to help them meet their goals;
- leading patient evidence-based group activities;
- helping create patient treatment plans;
- case management (making phone calls, following up on patient goals, etc.);
- assisting patients to develop goals addressing their problem areas;
- working with patients to develop money management skills;
- being an advocate for the patient and presenting treatment results to the treatment team;
- help patients gain insight into their mental illness or behavioral disturbances;
- assist patients improve their decision-making skills to enable them to return to a less restrictive environment;
- providing patient transportation;
- assisting patients with activities of daily life (eating, bathing, dressing, etc.).
This is a full-time position at the South Dakota Human Services Center in Yankton, South Dakota. This position works primarily 2:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m., including holidays and weekends.
Licenses and Certifications:
This position requires Certified Nurse Aide (C.N.A.) certification. The Human Services Center provides a comprehensive employee orientation which includes completion of CNA certification process for candidates who do not possess the certification.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Preference will be given to applicants with an associates or bachelor's degree in psychology, human services, social work or related field. Preference will also be given to applicants with a minimum of one year experience working with mentally ill individuals or individuals who have completed two years of college in the fields previously outlined.
- severe and persistent mental illness;
- serious emotional disturbances;
- chemical dependency/substance use;
- crisis management;
- verbal and physical de-escalation skills;
- therapeutic communication skills;
- principles of basic human behavior across the lifespan;
- CPR and first aid;
- patient's rights.
- deal effectively with patients from diverse ethnic and sociological backgrounds;
- Pay attention to and be empathetic with patients;
- accurately remember and recall information;
- utilize computers and other electronic devices for charting and other tasks as needed;
- maintain flexibility while ensuring safety and security in an in-patient psychiatric setting;
- provide individual and/or group crisis and de-escalation interventions;
- lead patients in assigned tasks;
- effectively diffuse potentially explosive confrontations between patients;
- plan and organize work;
- lift 75 pounds;
- effectively communicate with patients, staff, family members, professionals, and others;
- maintain records and prepare documentation;
- interpret and follow established policies, operations memoranda, procedures, and guidelines.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Successful applicant(s) will undergo an abuse and neglect screening. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=F95
Y ou must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
" An Equal Opportunity Employer"