Senior Wildlife Biologist
Rapid City, SD
Job ID: 17483
Agency: Department of Game, Fish and Parks/Wildlife Division
Location: Rapid City
Salary: $58,449 annually; depending on experience
Pay Grade: GK
Closing Date: 10/29/2021
This is a Full-Time 40 Hours Weekly position with the Department of Game, Fish and Parks. For more information on the Department of Game, Fish and Parks, please visit https://gfp.sd.gov/ .
Why the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks?
Working for the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks is not just a job. It is a life passion. It is about working together as a team with colleagues, customers, landowners, and partner organizations to ensure that our state's outdoor heritage lives on for the next generation. Providing exceptional outdoor recreational opportunities for people to enjoy is one of the best jobs in state government. Our atmosphere empowers professional success and team building, while fostering relationships to build a culture focused on our four strategic plan goals.
- Provide outdoor recreational opportunities
- Serve as stewards of our state's natural resources
- Inspire confidence
- Foster professional excellence
All we need is you to join our team! Sound like a good fit so far? As a South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks employee, here is what you will experience:
- Innovation - the GFP team is consistently revolutionizing enhancements to outdoor recreation in terms of technology and customer experience. We invite new ideas and interaction from our employees.
- Collaboration and Communication - our employees work with various teams, programs, and divisions within the Agency, outside state and federal agencies and public stakeholders. We want all employees to know that their voice will be heard as we continuously work towards our future goals.
- Professional Development - We provide training and support for you to become an expert in the field and obtain the skills necessary to be successful in your position.
- Task Diversity - the work duties are never boring. Your duties may include meetings with coworkers, collaborating with other government representatives, representing the Department at Commission meetings and national conferences, visiting one of our state parks and recreation areas or working to enhance habitat on a game production area. The outdoors provides for a pretty nice corner office!
Who We're Looking For?
- Do you have a high degree of professional ethics and integrity?
- Are you excellent at organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects while maintaining a positive attitude?
- Do you welcome the opportunity to tackle problems and think quickly to find innovative solutions?
- Are you an effective, outgoing communicator who enjoys providing superior service to customers, leadership, and other employees?
What You Will Do
The Area Fisheries Supervisor in Rapid City leads the fisheries management team for western South Dakota and the Black Hills. This position supervises and provides oversight and work direction to staff, implements fisheries management plans, and serves as a member of the statewide fisheries management team and the team that coordinates wildlife, fish, land, parks, and law enforcement efforts at the regional level. This position also coordinates fisheries management efforts with other government agencies, Tribes, municipalities, and non-governmental organizations. Coordination of public outreach and staff development are also responsibilities of this position and reports to the Aquatics Section Chief.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have
A Master's degree in fisheries or aquatic science (preferred) or equivalent work experience focusing on recreational fisheries management.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- knowledge of fisheries management principles and research techniques;
- knowledge and experience supervising technical staff;
- excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects;
- well-developed problem-solving abilities;
- communicate effectively and provide superior service to customers, leadership, and other employees;
- interpret survey and research results and apply appropriate management tools (regulations, stocking, habitat, access) to improve fisheries;
- present information to public and professional audiences;
- actively engage staff, the public, and other entities in fisheries management discussions and build and maintain working relationships;
- direct and coach staff on work activities and priorities, and to coordinate staff use with other programs and statewide fisheries management efforts.
What South Dakota has to Offer
South Dakota is centrally located in the U.S. and boasts the beautiful Missouri River and Black Hills. Our state has a rich frontier history and is a premier outdoor destination, offering some of the best outdoor recreation opportunities in the nation. Fishing, hunting, and photography are all popular activities that offer year-round opportunities for residents. Multiple state parks are ideal getaways for camping, hiking and biking. Many towns offer the amenities of a larger city but with a small-town feel.
If you enjoy a career that is both exciting and challenging and want to make a difference in public service, we'd like to hear from you!
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FR1
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"