Fort Pierre, SD
PLEASE ATTACH THE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
Job ID: 17463 Agency: Department of Game, Fish and Parks/Wildlife Division Location: Ft. Pierre Salary: $20.69 per hour Pay Grade: GH Closing Date: 11/02/2021
This is a Full-Time 40 Hours Weekly position with the Department of Game, Fish and Parks. For more information on the Department of Game, Fish and Parks, please visit https://gfp.sd.gov/ .
Why the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish, and Parks?
Working for the South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks is not just a job. It is a life passion. It is about working together as a team with colleagues, customers, landowners, and partner organizations to ensure that our state's outdoor heritage lives on for the next generation. Providing exceptional outdoor recreational opportunities for people to enjoy is one of the best jobs in state government. Our atmosphere empowers professional success and team building while fostering relationships to build a culture focused on our four strategic plan goals.
- Provide outdoor recreational opportunities.
- Serve as stewards of our state's natural resources.
- Inspire confidence.
- Foster professional excellence.
All we need is for you to join our team! Sound like a good fit so far? As a South Dakota Department of Game, Fish, and Parks employee, here is what you will experience:
- Innovation - the GFP team is consistently revolutionizing enhancements to outdoor recreation in terms of technology and customer experience. We invite new ideas and interaction from our employees.
- Collaboration and Communication - our employees work with various teams, programs, and divisions within the Agency, outside state and federal agencies, and public stakeholders. We want all employees to know that their voices will be heard as we continuously work towards our future goals.
- Professional Development - We provide training and support for you to become an expert in the field and obtain the skills necessary to be successful in your position.
- Task Diversity - the work duties are never boring. Your duties may include a variety of fisheries field work opportunities, collaborating with multiple nationally recognized fisheries scientists, developing new sampling and analysis gears and techniques, participating in spawning operations for a variety of species, and using state-of-the-art recirculating aquaculture systems to produce fish for stocking.
The outdoors provides for a nice corner office!
Who We're Looking For?
- Do you have a high degree of professional ethics and integrity?
- Are you excellent at organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects while maintaining a positive attitude?
- Do you welcome the opportunity to tackle problems and think quickly to find innovative solutions?
- Are you an effective, outgoing communicator who enjoys providing superior service to customers, leadership, and other employees?
What You Will Do
This Fisheries Resource Biologist is a vital team member of the Upper Missouri River Fish Management Area.Work priorities in this area include fisheries management, research, habitat and access improvements, and fish spawning activities. In addition, this position will play an integral part in rearing a variety of fish species using recirculating aquaculture systems.This position reports to the Upper Missouri River Fisheries Supervisor.
Specific job duties include:
- using various fish sampling gears and data analysis systems to collect and analyze scientific data to meet management goals;
- maintenance, operation and fabrication of boats, sampling equipment, tools and other vehicles used in the performance of duties;
- leading field teams of intern and seasonal employees to complete fish management, habitat and access projects;
- spawning walleyes, Chinook salmon, and other fish species in collaboration with management and hatchery biologists;
- operating and maintaining recirculating aquaculture systems;
- rearing and stocking a variety of fish species.
What South Dakota and Pierre/Ft. Pierre have to offer
South Dakota boasts the beautiful Missouri River and the Black Hills. Our state has a rich frontier history and is a premier outdoor destination, offering some of the best outdoor recreation opportunities in the nation. South Dakota's capitol city of Pierre sits on the east side of the Missouri River with Fort Pierre opposite on the west side. Fishing and hunting opportunities are abundant year-round to residents in this area of South Dakota which is also home to multiple state parks that are ideal getaways for camping, hiking, biking and photography. Pierre and Ft. Pierre offer the amenities of a larger city but with a small-town feel. Excursions to the scenic Black Hills region of western South Dakota or to the more urban cities in the eastern part of the state require only a few hours' drive from the centrally located towns of Pierre/Ft. Pierre.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- ability to develop positive personal relationships and be a productive teammate;
- well-developed problem-solving abilities and decision-making skills;
- strong communication skills;
- knowledge of aquatic biology, fisheries management, aquaculture, and research obtained through a bachelor's degree in fisheries management, aquatic biology, or equivalent experience;
- excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects;
- ability to be flexible and creative in response to changing circumstances and directives;
- mechanical skills necessary to maintain and repair nets, pumps, filters, feeders, and other aquaculture and fisheries equipment;
- the capability to learn, humility to ask questions and take direction, and the willingness to accept challenges.
Additional Requirements: To be considered, please attach your resume.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
NCRC:If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FQ9
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com http://bhr.sd.gov/workforus "An Equal Opportunity Employer"