Mental Health Professional (Therapist/Clinician)
Job ID: 17046
Agency: Department of Social Services/Correctional Behavioral Health/Mike Durfee State Prison
Salary: Depending on Experience
Pay Grade: GK
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Social Services/Correctional Behavioral Health at the Mike Durfee State Prison in Springfield, SD. For more information on DSS, please visit https://dss.sd.gov .
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
Why the Department of Social Services?
At the Department of Social Services (DSS), we have an opportunity to make a difference. It's the foundation of what we do every day through provision of services to strengthen and support the citizens of South Dakota. We believe in assisting individuals in living healthy and fulfilling lives. We also believe in respecting individual and cultural differences by treating people with dignity, fairness, and respect. And, we believe in collaborative communications, teamwork, partnerships and trust for the delivery of behavioral health services. Sound intriguing?
As a Department of Social Services employee, you will have a chance to experience:
- Creativity - We are always looking for innovative ideas to help us achieve improved outcomes.
- Making a difference - You will have an opportunity to make a difference in the life of fellow South Dakotans.
- Professional development - We provide valuable trainings to ensure well-trained staff that is competent, accountable and empowered and will assist you in reaching your career goals.
- Teamwork - In a team-oriented approach, you will have the ability to work cooperatively with others in a friendly work environment to achieve shared goals.
Who we want:
- a highly motivated and experienced person with a passion for serving the public and displays a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals;
- a compassionate individual who listens attentively to others and clearly conveys information and ideas;
- a dependable and organized individual who effectively plans and organizes work activities;
- a person who is dedicated and who will represent the Department of Social Service with integrity and enthusiasm; and
- an individual who works cooperatively with others and promotes a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals.
What you will do:
Provide mental health services to adult offenders at the Mike Durfee State Prison in Springfield, SD. Services include but are not limited to:
- assessment and evaluation of individuals for behavioral health concerns
- individual and group counseling
- development of treatment plans
- crisis management
- assistance with release planning to determine mental health services upon release from the correctional setting to facilitate continuity of care
***Mike Durfee State Prison is a National Health Services Corps (NHSC) approved site which can provide opportunities for student loan reimbursement.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- experience in the delivery of clinical services.
- Master's level degree in Mental Health Counseling, Masters of Social Work, Masters of Clinical Psychology, Masters of Psychology or related field required.
- theories and techniques used in counseling, crisis intervention, and chemical dependency issues;
- evidence-based practices related to the rehabilitation of criminal offenders;
- attitude, problems, and behavior of incarcerated individuals;
- treatment planning, charting, and report writing;
- suicide prevention and intervention specifically related to the correctional population.
- effectively communicate and motivate treatment resistant offenders
- conduct clinical interviews, assessments, and evaluations;
- diagnose mental health disorders.
- deal effectively with offenders from diverse ethnic and sociological backgrounds;
- be a positive role model;
- work collaboratively and communicate quickly and accurately with multi-disciplinary staff;
- receive oral communications from clients and relate that information accurately to others;
- conduct individual and group counseling sessions;
- make proper responses to safety and security problems;
- work in a correctional facility;
- adhere to the security of such correctional facility;
- effectively deal with mental health crisis situations;
- make clinical decisions regarding offenders' mental health.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the Unite States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=F7I
Y ou must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"