Grounds Crew Leader/Specialist
Job ID: 16886
Agency: Department of Social Services / SD Human Services Center / Physical Plant / Grounds
Salary: $14.90 per hour
Pay Grade: GE
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
For more information on the Department of Social Services, please visit http://dss.sd.gov .
The Grounds Crew Leader/Specialist directs the work of groundskeepers and participates in grounds maintenance including the care of lawns, trees, flowers, and shrubs as well as snow and ice removal from sidewalks and roads to ensure state grounds are properly cared for and maintained.
Established working hours for this position are currently 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. but frequently varies according to facility needs such as emergency snow and ice removal.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- lawn and grounds maintenance practices;
- safe use of fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides;
- safe disposal of hazardous wastes;
- types and varieties of trees and plants; and,
- maintenance and operation of farm, lawn and heavy equipment.
- organize and delegate assignments;
- recognize and diagnose plant diseases;
- identify insect destruction and the necessary corrective actions;
- follow oral and written instructions;
- perform heavy lifting and physical labor;
- operate motorized vehicles, hand and power tools, and related equipment;
- obtain herbicide/pesticide applicator license;
- operate grounds equipment (mowers, tractors, tillers, snow blowers, snow plows, etc.);
- direct the work of DOC inmate crews in grounds maintenance.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Successful applicant(s) will undergo an abuse and neglect screening.
NCRC : If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=F00
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"