Family Services Specialist (Ongoing Specialist)
Job ID: 17510
Agency: Department of Social Services/Division of Child Protection
Salary: $21.49 per hour
Pay Grade: GI
Closing Date: 10/27/21
This is a Full-Time 40 Hours Weekly position with the Department of Social Services. For more information on the Department of Social Services, please visit https://dss.sd.gov/ .
This position is responsible for providing intervention services with families after a determination has occurred that conditions in the home threaten child safety. These interventions will include developing a strategy with the family to focus on changing caregiver behavior, ongoing safety management through out-of-home placement of children or an in-home safety plan, case evaluation, professional documentation, and court testimony.
Incumbent may be required to work a flexible schedule which may include evening, night, holiday and weekend hours. Emergency response duties may be required. In and out-of-state travel may be required.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, sociology, public administration, or other human service-related fields may be considered as applicable to the entry-level knowledge, skills and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- theories and concepts related to culture, child development, family connections and family dynamics and their influence on child and parental relationships and behavior;
- needs and potential sources of conflict for children in placement and appropriate placement resources (preferred but not required);
- theories and concepts related to impact of separation on children involuntarily removed from their families (preferred but not required);
- establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships and demonstrate compassion, respect, courtesy, and tact when interacting with others;
- actively listen, elicit needed information and communicate information effectively and accurately;
- utilize computerized data system (Microsoft Word preferred but not required);
- prepare clear and concise documentation, reports, and correspondence that reflect relevant facts;
- effectively plan and organize work activities, adjust to multiple demands, and prioritize tasks to complete assignments and meet schedules and deadlines;
- gather and analyze data; reason logically and accurately; and solve problems using common sense, reasoning and resourcefulness;
- assume initiative with minimal supervision;
- observe and correctly assess situations.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Successful applicant(s) will undergo an abuse and neglect screening.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FRP
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"