Equipment Mechanic ($2,000 hiring incentive)
*** $2,000 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 16903 - Equipment Mechanic ($2,000 hiring incentive)- Two Positions
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Operations / Pierre Region Repair Shop
Salary: $17.53 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: GF
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/ .
Equipment Mechanics install and repair mechanical systems and perform preventive maintenance on vehicles and equipment in a Department of Transportation Shop. Duties may include, but are not limited to performing minor and major maintenance preventative maintenance on equipment/vehicles (e.g., chassis lubrication, fill windshield washer tank, changes oil and oil filter, checks various items); assembling, setting up, and making adjustments and/or adaptations to new equipment/vehicles (e.g., changing appropriate fluids and spark plugs, replacing brakes, etc.); transporting equipment/vehicles to obtain repair, parts and/or services; performing repairs on existing equipment/vehicles (e.g., brakes, belts, cooling system, suspension, electrical, etc.); performing preventive maintenance and repair on power and hand tools; monitoring fuel levels, purchases fuel, and programs fuel keys at Department of Transportation shop; and maintaining fuel pump island at Department of Transportation shop.
Indoor and outside work with occasional exposure to extreme weather conditions is required. Also includes exposure to various operating equipment and moving mechanical parts (e.g., high-pressure hoses and connections, power presses, cutting torches; and exposure to fumes (e.g., welding, exhaust systems, solvents, gasoline, paints,). May occasionally require work at heights above the ground.
From approximately May 1 to September 30, the anticipated work schedule for this position is 10-hour days, 4 days per week from Monday through Thursday each week. From approximately October 1 - April 30, the anticipated work schedule for this position is eight-hour days, Monday through Friday. Night and shift work will be required, including working weekend hours and holidays during emergencies and inclement weather.
The successful candidate will be required to supply his/her own basic personal hand and air tools to do simple repairs. A tool allowance may be available.
Incumbent must have a valid driver's license and be able to obtain a Class A commercial driver's license (CDL) with no transmission restrictions within 60 days of hire date to retain employment. Employee will be subject to pre-employment, random, reasonable-suspicion, post-accident, follow up, and return-to-duty drug and alcohol testing.
Incumbent must be willing and able to report to work for inclement weather conditions and other highway emergencies; and must be able to report to their home station within 30 minutes, under normal driving conditions, from the time of notification.
According to SDCL 32-12A, applicants will be required to authorize the Department of Transportation to obtain a complete driving record.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Experience performing equipment and vehicle maintenance and repair is preferred.
- standard principles, methods, tools and equipment of the automotive trade;
- principles of internal combustion engines, various drive trains, gear boxes, hydraulic systems, and electrical systems;
- occupational hazards and safety precautions of the mechanics' trade;
- repair and preventative maintenance practices on equipment and vehicles (e.g., brakes, belts, cooling system, suspension, electrical, etc.);
- Digital Voltage Ohm Meter (DVOM) (preferred but not required).
- operate a variety of hand, power and shop tools;
- operate skid loader, front-end loader, telehandler and forklift;
- perform basic mathematical calculations;
- utilize standard office equipment including computers and related software applications.
- display high standards of ethical conduct;
- treat customers courteously and be responsive to their needs;
- work cooperatively with others and promote a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals;
- display a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- safely move, drag, lift 35 pounds frequently, up to 60 pounds occasionally (without assistance), and 90 or more pounds infrequently (with assistance);
- walk, sit and stand for extended periods of time;
- routinely reach, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
NCRC : If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=F0Z
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"