Engineer I - III (Bidding and Quality Project Engineer) ($2,500 hiring incentive)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 17287 Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Planning and Engineering / Salary: $25.88 - $34.25 per hour. depending on experience Pay Grade: E1 - E3 Closing Date: 10/27 /2021
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/ .
This position performs several bid letting related functions, conducts contract and construction plan reviews, and carries out assignments associated with adding value and enhancing construction plans quality and contract delivery practices. Duties include preparing and reviewing engineer's estimates and bid proposal packages; project scheduling coordination; conducting construction plan reviews; analyzing/answering contractor questions on construction projects advertised for bidding; participating in post-bid analysis; serving as a technical resource to contractors, consultants, local governments, and department staff; and conducting research necessary to provide recommendations on improving bidding and plan quality practices and standards.
The majority of duties associated with this position are time critical and engineering/construction related making it necessary to efficiently interpret plans and specifications and effectively communicate with project stakeholders.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or related engineering degree will be considered. Three plus years of highway engineering or construction related experience.
- principles, theories and practices of civil engineering;
- highway construction plan preparation & highway design;
- competitive bidding and contract delivery practices;
- highway construction and specifications;
- construction cost estimating.
- analyze construction plans and apply engineering judgment to time sensitive engineering/construction issues;
- complete comprehensive project reviews in a efficient manner;
- complete construction cost estimates and bid analysis;
- organizational skills necessary to prioritize and meet deadlines;
- communicate effectively.
- manage multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously under time constraints;
- facilitate discussion and build consensus among divergent opinions;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with the contracting industry, internal staff, and external agencies;
- research construction and engineering practices and formulate recommendations to improve construction plan quality.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FHU
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"