Engineer I - II (Region Traffic Engineer) ($2,500 Hiring Incentive)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 17487Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of OperationsLocation: Pierre Salary: $25.88 - $30.12 per hour, depending on experiencePay Grade: E1 - E2Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information about the Department of Transportation, please visit http://dot.sd.gov .
This position is involved in design layout and assembly of highway construction and maintenance plans, which includes roadway surfacing, pipe culverts, minor grading, guardrail, riprap and other miscellaneous highway features along with permanent signing, pavement marking, traffic control, and traffic signal plan section for highway construction plans. Duties include, but are not limited to participate in project scoping; produce permanent signing, pavement marking, etc. plans for highway construction or maintenance projects; prepare work orders for maintenance crews to complete specific traffic related improvements; review assigned project plans for accuracy and completeness; provide oversight of the completion of various traffic studies and analyses; and provide technical assistance support to construction staff and assist with contractor questions.
Incumbents must have a valid driver license.
A typical 40- hour work week, Monday through Friday although hours may vary depending on workload. Work activity will predominantly be an office environment with occasions in an outdoor environment; and outdoor work may involve driving and working throughout the Pierre Region in all weather conditions and around traffic.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field will be considered. Applicants should possess or be eligible to obtain an FE or PE License and will be required to obtain PE when eligible.
- highway design methods, processes, and sequences (preferred but not required);
- standard terminology, techniques and practices of drafting and graphic designs;
- engineering and scientific principles, practices, and methods as applicable to highway design.
- effectively use Microsoft Office products;
- read and interpret highway construction plans, right-of-way plats, and regulatory documents;
- provide technical information and interpretation to permitting agencies, consultants, contractors, and other SDDOT staff;
- communicate effectively.
- display high standards of ethical conduct and demonstrate behaviors in line with SDDOT's core values;
- work independently on several concurrent projects and participate in the entire design process;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental personnel, management, contractors, consultants, and the general public;
- exercise sound judgment when making decisions and takes prompt, decisive action;
- listen attentively to others and effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing;
- work cooperatively with others and promote a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FQF
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"