Director of Policy & Legal Services
Job ID: 17406
Agency: Unified Judicial System, State Court Administrator's Office
Salary: $84,396.96 - $88,635.60/annually, depending on experience
Closing date: Open Until Filled
For more information on the Unified Judicial System, please visit http://ujs.sd.gov .
Provides timely, accurate, consistent, and reliable leadership, advice, information, and analysis in support of the Unified Judicial System (UJS) employees and programs while increasing the public's trust and confidence in the UJS through proactive policy development, legal consultation, and public relations.
Duties may include:
- serving as Legal Counsel for the UJS by researching complex legal issues and representing staff to ensure legal compliance and eliminate liability;
- assisting with lobbying activities to ensure successful passage of UJS legislation and to protect UJS interests.
- overseeing the development and distribution of the court publications such as the annual report and ad hoc reports to ensure enhanced public relations and court image through these publications;
- managing and overseeing division programs to ensure effective and efficient operation;
- participating in various committees and meetings to carry out division objectives;
- performing other works as assigned.
Comments: Graduation from an ABA accredited law school and possession of a Juris Doctorate. Licensed by the South Dakota State Bar to practice law in South Dakota. In addition, five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in the legal field, policy administration, or lobbying or legislative arena, and supervision of staff; or a related field; or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
Successful completion of a criminal background investigation is required for employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- the law;
- the court system;
- functions of the court;
- the legal and judicial system;
- legislative process and procedures;
- budgeting fundamentals;
- supervisory and leadership techniques and tools.
- organizational and time management;
- project management;
- critical thinking.
- provide supervision, leadership, coaching, and mentoring to staff;
- manage expectations of staff and constituents;
- develop and provide public presentations and training;
- be diplomatic, self-motivated, persuasive, decisive, consistent, and assertive;
- effectively manage highly stressful situations and remain patient and calm;
- research, administer, establish, and interpret rules, policies, guidelines, and procedures;
- act as liaison with other courts, executive branch, and outside entities to build networks and consensus and foster collaborative relationships;
- communicate in a clear and concise manner both orally and in writing;
- establish credibility and integrity;
- maintain confidentiality of personnel issues and records.
The State of South Dakota, Unified Judicial System does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The Unified Judicial System as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
You may view our benefits information at https://ujs.sd.gov/uploads/pubs/Come_work_for_us.pdf .
Apply at: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FMK
Unified Judicial System
500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"