DHS Intern - Developmental Disabilities (Summer)
Session: Summer (May - August)
Position Title : Intern - Developmental Disabilities
Supervisor: Jaze Sollars
Agency : Department of Human Services
Location : Pierre
*APPLICANT MUST BE A FULL-TIME STUDENT (MINIMUM OF 12 CREDIT HOURS) IN THE SEMESTER IN WHICH YOU APPLY.
The Division of Developmental Disabilities' mission is to "ensure that people with developmental disabilities have equal opportunities and receive the services and supports they need to live and work in South Dakota communities."
Who We Want:
- a highly motivated person with an interest in exploring the field of developmental disabilities as a career path;
- a compassionate, empathetic individual who can clearly convey information and ideas and demonstrate active listening skills;
- a dependable and organized person who effectively prioritizes tasks, is detail-oriented, and demonstrates initiative by assisting other team members to accomplish common goals and tasks and will represent the Division of Developmental Disabilities with integrity and professionalism;
- an individual who is adaptable and able to apply new information to existing projects and who uses innovation and critical thinking skills to problem-solve and seek efficient ways of conducting day to day work.
What you will do:
- learn about the service delivery system for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families in South Dakota, including compliance with state and federal regulations for home and community based services;
- travel within South Dakota to tour support provider organizations and meet people with disabilities and their support networks;
- attend disability-related training sessions and technical assistance visits with stakeholder groups;
- provide support to DDD team members to increase efficiencies, assist in the development of innovative community-based supports, including tasks such as data analysis and reports, editing and organizing informational resources, and involvement in other DDD projects/initiatives.
Applicant must be a full-time student at a college, university or technical institute at the time they apply. By the start of the internship, the applicant should have at least a sophomore standing or currently be enrolled at a technical institute and have completed one year (nine months).
Preference will be given to applicants with a junior standing, South Dakota residents and students of South Dakota institutions.
The ideal candidate will be pursuing a degree in social work, psychology, sociology, counseling, public health, or other human service related field. In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience using Microsoft Office programs.
Minimum Salary: $19.10
Apply at: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FEM
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"
*Positions can be filled prior to the Closing date.*