Deputy Court Clerk - Magistrate I
Job ID: 17502
Agency: Unified Judicial System, Fourth Judicial Circuit
Salary: $16.53 per hour
Closing date: October 26, 2021
For more information on the Unified Judicial System, please visit http://ujs.sd.gov .
This position assists with cases filed with the court clerk's office including criminal, civil, traffic, and other cases from initial filing to final disposition by developing and maintaining case files, assisting with scheduling and assigning hearings, assisting in court room proceedings, and implementing procedures for monetary dispositions; provides customer services daily to a wide variety of individuals and agencies; performs magistrate duties as assigned; and acts on behalf of the court clerk in his or her absence.
Duties may include:
- maintaining case files for criminal, civil, traffic, and other cases from initial to final disposition in accordance with established procedures and designated timelines;
- assisting in maintaining court calendars by scheduling hearings according to procedures;
- providing customer service in many different ways to many different people by providing information about the court's protocols and procedures to make sure they receive correction information;
- providing assistance in court rooms by maintaining case files and minutes of proceedings; handling in-court exhibits; empanelling juries; recording proceedings; being responsible for sound and video equipment; and providing court interpretive services when needed to facilitate processes of the court;
- performing clerk magistrate duties as assigned to assist the circuit court in disposing of civil actions and to provide direct court contact for average citizens;
- filing, scanning, and indexing documents on any new or ongoing action for civil, criminal, probate, juvenile; adoption, mental illness, traffic, family, and small claims cases, as well as appeals, using manual and automated processes;
- training and orientating new staff and train current staff on new procedures as needed;
- performing other work as assigned.
Requires a high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate and one year of general clerical experience; or an equivalent combination of related education and experience. Upon hire the successful applicant must meet the following requirements before beginning employment:
MUST BE A CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES, RESIDENT OF THE STATE OF South DAKOTA, AND A VOTING RESIDENT WITHIN THE CIRCUIT. (SD CONST. ART. V, SECTION 6)
If you already meet these requirements, please note them on your application details or on your resume.
Successful completion of a criminal background investigation is required for employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- court processes and procedures;
- legal terminology;
- general office and bookkeeping practices.
- time management;
- customer service.
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- learn on the job using written manuals and learn from context;
- listen and understand;
- work independently;
- recognize and defuse escalating situations with customers and staff;
- use computers and related software systems proficiently;
- multi-task and adapt quickly to change;
- prioritize work activities to ensure most important items are done first.
The State of South Dakota, Unified Judicial System does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The Unified Judicial System as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
You may view our benefits information at https://ujs.sd.gov/uploads/pubs/Come_work_for_us.pdf .
Apply at: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FR7
Unified Judicial System
500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"