Deputy Court Clerk I
Job ID: 17462
Agency: Unified Judicial System, First Judicial Circuit
Salary: $16.19 per hour
Closing date: Open Until Filled
For more information on the Unified Judicial System, please visit http://ujs.sd.gov .
To be considered, you must complete a UJS questionnaire, specific to this job, and attach it to your application.
*Adobe Reader is required. You can download the software for free fromhttps://get.adobe.com/reader/.
Click http://bhr.sd.gov/ujs/questionnaire.pdf to access the questionnaire. Save or download the questionnaire to your computer. *Do not complete the questionnaire online within your browser. You may lose entered information. Open the saved questionnaire and complete. Once complete, select File and then Save as. Save the questionnaire to include your last name in the file name. * To ensure your information is saving, complete a small section, save as, and open. Attach the questionnaire to the attachments section of your application as UJS questionnaire.
Subject to supervision by a lead worker deputy and/or the Clerk of Court, this position is responsible for performing and assisting other court personnel in duties associated with case management activities of criminal, civil, traffic or other cases in magistrate and circuit court from initial filing to final disposition.
Duties may include work in the following areas: case processing, scheduling, records maintenance, finance, jury, courtroom support, social/customer service; technical assistance and computer support, and other administrative matters. Examples include but are not limited to:
- maintaining bookkeeping records of all monies collected; recording support payments; maintaining accounts receivable and restitution payments, compiling reports on transactions and statistics; making daily deposits and submitting money to County Treasurer;
- reviewing legal documents for completeness, adequacy, and accuracy; determining processing required and taking necessary action in accordance with court rules;
- filing and indexing documents on any new or ongoing action for civil, criminal, probate, juvenile; adoption, mental illness, traffic, family, and small claims cases, as well as appeals, using manual and automated processes;
- performing statewide court record/information searches of persons, using primarily automated processes;
- processing passport applications;
- scheduling court dates and attending court hearings to record events as they occur;
- assisting the general public with questions and concerns about court records and judicial procedure.
Requires a high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate and one year of general clerical experience; or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
Successful completion of a criminal background investigation is required for employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- general office practices and procedures;
- fundamentals of customer service;
- principles and practices of accounting and bookkeeping;
- court/legal terminology, laws, policies, and judicial processes.
- working with computers (data entry, word processing, email, spreadsheets, calendars);
- communicating effectively orally and in writing, in person, using a Telephone, or by mail;
- organizing and prioritizing work and managing time.
- recognize and diffuse escalating, difficult behaviors; and work cooperatively with others;
- acquire and analyze information from various sources, Pay attention to detail, and make decisions;
- remain neutral; stay focused and not be easily distracted; maintain confidentiality;
- assess need for and adapt to change; participate in and learn from educational opportunities.
The State of South Dakota, Unified Judicial System does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The Unified Judicial System as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
You may view our benefits information at https://ujs.sd.gov/uploads/pubs/Come_work_for_us.pdf .
Apply at: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FPC
Unified Judicial System
500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"