Correctional Officer (Part Time) (Temporary)
Job ID: 17251
T emporary/Seasonal Position -Correctional Officer - Part Time
Agency: Department of Corrections/Women's Prison/Pierre, SD
Salary: $17.89 per hour, $18.89 per hour on weekends
Pay Grade: GF
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a temporary part-time position with the Department of Corrections. For more information on the Department of Corrections, please visit http://doc.sd.gov .
Maintains custody of women in the Women's Prison by enforcing institutional operations memoranda and procedures to ensure the safety and security of the inmates and employees and that confinement conditions are maintained.
Officers are assigned a specific post in an area such as a control room, cell hall, visit room, or recreational area. Common duties in most posts include supervising inmates in cell halls, recreation areas, dining halls, school, health services and shower rooms; supervising inmates by assigning duties and monitoring work; preparing reports of incidents and rule infractions; conducting inmate counts and maintaining log books; escorting and transporting inmates to and from inside and outside appointments; inspecting and searching cells, common areas, inmates and visitors; monitoring and controlling gates and cell doors; and responding to crisis situations.
We train new officers in everything they will need to know; no prior education or experience is necessary. Uniforms are provided.
Hours for this position are flexible, based on facility need.
Please note this is a temporary or seasonal, non-benefited position, exempt from civil service.
Questionnaire: Applicants will be required to answer a series of job-related questions when submitting an application for this job.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- make sound decisions;
- think clearly and logically and respond quickly during emergencies;
- perform tasks with constant physical and mental alertness;
- identify problems and assess incidents or situations in a logical and methodical way;
- observe and recall inmate behavior, surroundings, and events;
- perform tasks with an inquisitive mind;
- work cooperatively with others as part of a team;
- maintain focus and remain positive and composed during crisis;
- recognize the relative importance of multiple tasks;
- to observe and hear inmates;
- endure prolonged periods of time standing, walking and climbing stairs;
- operate two-way radios, firearms and restraining devices;
- exercise tact and discretion in dealing with others;
- communicate information clearly and concisely.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
How to Apply:
Applicants have the option to fill out the online application at https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FG7 or fill out the State of South Dakota Seasonal/Temporary Application form - https://bhr.sd.gov/files/seas-tempapp.pdf and email or mail it to the address listed below. Paper applications can be obtained at any South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office.
Applications can be emailed or mailed to:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to:
H R Office
South Dakota Women's Prison
3 200 East Highway 34
P ierre, SD 57501
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"