Job ID: 16703
Agency: Bureau of Information and Telecommunications/Public Broadcasting Services/Engineering
Location: Vermillion, may be negotiable
Salary: $56,208.96 - $68,000 depending on experience
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Bureau of Information and Telecommunications. For more information on the Bureau of Information and Telecommunications, please visit https://bit.sd.gov/ .
Supervises the technical operation, maintenance, and installation of broadcast and transmitter equipment, broadcast computer systems, and microwave equipment to ensure the network is in compliance with FAA and FCC rules and regulations and network standards are being met. The Communications Engineer is responsible for the engineering and repair of broadcasting systems and directs Communications Maintenance Technicians in the maintenance of broadcast transmission equipment and facilities statewide. Position will concentrate on site in central and eastern part of South Dakota . However, workstations are spread across the state and must be accessed in all types of weather conditions. Candidate may be exposed to high voltage, adverse weather conditions, handling of hazardous chemicals, working alone, and lifting heavy equipment. May be required to work long hours in emergency situations.
Licenses and Certifications:
SBE Certification is a plus.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- F ederal Communications Commission (FCC) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) law and regulations;
- f requent contact State of South Dakota's Attorney General's office, and our SDPB's Broadcast/communications attorney in Washington DC;
- m ust be knowledgeable in state and federal Emergency Alert System Law (EAS);
- f requent contact with environmental, civil, and structural engineering consultants concerning tower siting, tower lighting as well as work with Indigenous tribal issues during the permitting and building process;
- e ffectively communicate to accurately describe both legal and Technical language for internal and external reports, Tower lease documents, as well as grant proposals for tower civil, structural construction and RF equipment grants;
- s ound principles of engineering and electronic fundamentals;
- t elevision and radio station technical operation and maintenance practices;
- c omputer and networking skills sets.
- c reate accurate engineering documentation and drawings using MS Office, Adobe, or Visio;
- l ead and direct the work of others.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=ERF
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"